What is a good resume made of?
Curriculum Vitae (CV) and resumé: structure and scope
What is behind the term "Curriculum Vitae (CV)"
Perhaps you, too, have been asked to submit a document with the title curriculum vitae to submit. This may sound a little confusing at first. But behind the strange name, which I also like with CV is abbreviated, basically hides nothing other than a curriculum vitae. Everyone should Application folder and may, depending on the professional environment, require special features in the preparation.
Definition: What is a curriculum vitae (CV)?
Next to the Application cover sheet, the Cover letter as well as the Testimonials, References and other attachments comes to the Curriculum Vitae therefore has an important meaning too, if you want to convince an employer.
The term Curriculum Vitae comes from Latin and simply means résumé in German. In Great Britain, where this form of CV is more common, the abbreviation “CV” is preferred.
How do you pronounce CV?
A little tip if you are wondering how to pronounce the abbreviation CV and the full name Curriculum Vitae: Im English and American English the two letters are pronounced as follows:
- C = sharp "S" plus "I", analogous to the Spanish "Si"
- V = "W" plus "I", analogous to the German "wie"
The pronunciation of the term curriculum vitae is no longer that uniform. Because especially in American English There are a lot of variants in circulation.
The best thing to do is to use British English as a guide, where curriculum vitae is spoken like "Curriculum Wietäi" out.
By the way: In America, the term curriculum vitae is usually only used for applications in the academic field. For all other job searches, however, it is more likely to be Term resumé used.
When do you write a CV?
While a résumé is used in the vast majority of applications in Germany, there are some job postings, for which a CV is usually required:
- For international applications: If you want to apply abroad, you will probably include a curriculum vitae with your application. This is especially true for applications in Great Britain, the USA and other English-speaking countries.
- For job advertisements in English: A CV may also be required for job advertisements in Germany from time to time. This happens more often, especially in larger companies, because the CV can also be forwarded to international subsidiaries.
- For exposed areas: In the case of job advertisements for jobs in the scientific or academic field, we also like to speak of a CV. Ideally, you should ask the HR department directly whether this actually refers to the English CV or its German counterpart.
The structure of the curriculum vitae (CV)
The English curriculum vitae usually consists of the following components:
- Headline: The CV is titled “Curriculum Vitae”.
- Personal details: The headline is followed by the persösimilar data such as first and last name, address, telephone number and E-mail address. The date of birth and other personal information such as nationality or marital status include Not into a CV. By the way: Especially if the CV is aimed at an international audience, you should definitely write out umlauts in your data.
- Personal statement (personal profile, personal statement, summary): This part of the CV is very different from a German résumé. Because in the English curriculum vitae, applicants are expected to write one or two sentences about your motivation and personality - that is, what is actually only in the cover letter in a German application.
- Career goal (objectives): This is followed by a few more sentences about which position you would like to hold in the company and where you see yourself in a few years. This question is more likely to be familiar to German applications from job interviews.
- Professional experience, work experience: This brings us back to familiar territory. Applicants also know the point “work experience” from a German CV. You can also use German templates as a basis for listing your professional experience - just take a look at our templates.
- School career (education): Here, too, the curriculum vitae is formulated analogously to a German curriculum vitae. The time period is on the left, the respective educational institution on the right.
- Skills: Special qualifications or skills that are useful for the desired position belong here. This can be, for example, foreign language skills, but also experience with special computer programs.
- Interests and hobbies (activities, engagement): Hobbies on the résumé are more important in an English CV than in a German application. It is all the more important that you really only mention the hobbies and interests that fit the job and that you as an applicant present in a good light.
- References: At the end of the curriculum vitae, you have the opportunity to state previous employers or other people who can report something about your career. Usually three people are named who can be contacted for this purpose. Attention: When applying in an English-speaking country, it is quite common for these people to be actually addressed. It is therefore essential to ask before giving a reference.
- Place and signature: The place, date and signature, which must be included in a German CV, are missing in an English CV.
Form and scope of the curriculum vitae
Usually the curriculum vitae in the tabular form written on a computer. Use this option as long as a body text or even a handwritten résumé is not expressly required.
The length of the CV should be tailored to your private and professional career, however two until three D.IN-A4 pages do not exceed - provided you are writing a CV to apply in the UK. An American CV is much shorter and usually only one A4 page long.
Gaps in CV: How to deal with them?
Correct use of Lüchick, Breaks or less positive developments in your career are important: Tear this off when nötig brieflywithout relentlessly presenting the whole truth. The HR manager is initially only interested in a coherent CV - further inquiries may then be discussed in an interview.
However, it is important not to deliberately falsify the actual circumstances roughly. Lügen in a curriculum vitae always involve a risk.
Should your CV be based on huhFrequent change of employer or even the professions do not show a stringent career, so that is no reason for untruths either.
Instead, underline yours Flexibilityat and the ability to get involved in new things. Experience shows that if you can also present minor deficiencies in an advantageous manner, interest in you will grow.
Therefore, do not let the term "curriculum vitae" unsettle you, because in the end this term means nothing other than a curriculum vitae, its Form and content If necessary, something should be adjusted at one point or another.
CV and resumé: the differences
A curriculum vitae is usually required for applications in Great Britain, while in the USA a resumé is more required. Both forms of a resume have some formal differences to its German counterpart.
We have put together a clear table for you which these are:
Important vocabulary for your application
Our service for you: If you have a Application in English you should use the most important terms and expressions correctly. These include the following:
- Department: department
- Employer: employer
- Employee: employer
- Duration of employment: period of employment
- Vocational training: professional training
- Work experience: work experience, professional experience
- Application: job application
- Cover letter
- Company: company
- Leisure activities: activities, engagement, interests, hobbies
- Career objective: career objective
- References: references
- Job advertisement: job advertisement
Photo credit: 5138153 / pixabay.com
- Is Koura a scam
- Why is the French bureaucracy so difficult
- 5G is harmful to humans and animals
- How is coconut and almond milk made
- Attend a Christmas concert in the community
- Defeat international travel racism
- How can i get jaundice
- Can sociopaths feel ashamed?
- How did Islamabad Pakistan get its name
- What is the seal of the Comoros
- Mathematics is created by God
- Are all boys fat
- How ships sail against the wind
- How do I automate the sending of emails
- What drives your competitive spirit
- Can you get a cholera vaccine
- Why is my USB stick getting hot?
- Who studies philosophy of sociology
- Which website is Quora closest to
- Who designed the Phabricator logo
- What drives self improvement
- What are examples of volatile solutions
- Who is the best astrologer in Patna
- Which conductor has a high and a low specific resistance?
- Why doesn't YG Black handle pink better
- What are Zoloft and Lamictal used for?
- What does status mean in sociology
- Why do animals lose their outer skin?
- What is NPTEL Certification
- How do QR codes work
- Cockroaches are bad for a newborn
- Can you teach me physics
- Should I argue with my teacher
- Are the Slovenes happy to be in the EU?