Can you smoke a whole turkey?
Grilling turkey: our big overview
Turkeys or turkeys are particularly interesting for grilling. Both names refer to the domesticated form of the turkey. In Germany the term turkey is used in northern regions and turkey in southern regions. Turkey or turkey denotes the male representatives, turkey or turkey hen the female. Although it many different racesthe chicken birds exist, the trade mainly only distinguishes them according to the weight classes. A fully grown turkey can weigh up to 15 kg. Turkey or turkey are offered in pieces, for example turkey breast or legs, but can also be bought and prepared whole. In America, it is a tradition for Thanksgiving to roast a whole turkey.
Table of Contents
Turkey for grilling offers a variety of meats. The white meat, for example turkey breast, is very light and has a subtle aroma. The meat of the legs is darker, which is also one more intense tasteto have. Turkey needs a little attention on the grill, as lean turkey meat will dry out if the cooking time is too long. A grill thermometer for measuring the core temperaturesimplifies grilling turkey.
If you want to grill turkey, you should deal with direct grilling and indirect grilling. Turkey meat is more sensitivethan, for example, pork on the grill. That's why there is no direct grilling with high heat. Turkey is gently cooked by indirect grilling. The problem with poultry in general is the danger of salmonella. That is why meat from poultry must reach a core temperature of at least 70 ° C. At this core temperature, microorganisms are killed. However, the core temperature of turkey meat should not exceed 85 ° C, as the meat will then dry out quickly due to the low fat content.
What are the best turkey cuts for grilling?
In addition to a whole turkey or turkey, there are also a few popular cutsthe turkey for grilling. Turkey schnitzel, for example, is very popular. They can come from the breast of the turkey or from the legs. The leg schnitzel has a stronger flavor than turkey breast schnitzel. Winged legs or turkey fillet are also suitable for grilling turkey. The turkey neck or the innards such as the heart and stomach are good bases for soups or sauces. The liver can also be fried. Basically, cuts of turkey are grilled like chicken, but with each other shorten the cooking times.
The turkey breast offers a very lean and tender meat. It is readily available commercially and relatively inexpensive. Turkey breast is available at organic farms for € 10 to € 12 per kilo. Discount stores still have turkey breastsignificantly cheaperin their offers and available practically all year round.
Price per kilo approx. 10 to 12 €
Recipe and preparation
- 1 turkey breast
- Preheated grill with lid for indirect grilling
- Grill tongs
- olive oil
- Grill thermometer (core temperature)
- Take the turkey breast out of the refrigerator to warm up 90 minutes before grilling. This is how it reaches the ambient temperature.
- Preheat the grill to 180 ° C in the indirect zone.
- The grill grate should be cleaned with a grill brush before food is placed on it.
- Brush the clean grill grate with oil so that nothing can stick.
- Wash the turkey breast and pat dry with a cloth before grilling.
- In the indirect grill zone, the turkey breast is cooked at 170 to 180 ° C. For boneless turkey breast, cooking can take about 55 to 65 minutes. Grilling turkey breasts with bones takes longer, around 65 to 90 minutes. Close the lid of the grill.
- The turkey breast is done when the core temperature has reached 80 to 85 ° C. If the turkey breast was grilled on the bone, measurements should be taken at several points with the grill thermometer. No point may be below 70 ° C (danger of salmonella!).
Light and low-calorie grill side dishes for turkey breast
Goes well with the turkey for grilling, of courselight side dishesWell. Turkey cuts in connection with light grill side dishes also help to get your figure back in shape. If we want to lose a pound or two, we choose turkey for grilling. There is plenty of itSalad and vegetables. But we also do without the much-loved high-calorie dip and the fatty barbecue sauces. Light salads taste refreshing. Of course, there is no mayonnaise or cream in the dressing. Fresh lemon, olive oil, lots of fresh herbs, salt and pepper make the salad a delicious grill side dish. But you can offer a grilled vegetable pan, especially when grilling turkey. This goes wonderfully with add value to the satiety-maker rice. First you cook Basmati rice in a pot. It should still be a bit pithy after cooking. Then you take a grill tray and chop in vegetables that you particularly like. We take peppers, zucchini, tomatoes, corn kernels, onion rings, green beans, garlic slices and put them in the grill pan. You can also use the Take the grill wok. Many even cut thin strips of turkey breast into it. We prepare a marinade from olive oil, many herbs, curry powder, salt and pepper. We give it over the vegetables. We add the basmati rice to the grill tray 10 minutes before the vegetables are ready. Mix everything together and let everything sit for a while in the indirect heat. Incidentally, it tastes great and is low in calories and easy to digest. White wine or a low-calorie beer helps against thirst.
Turkey thigh from the grill
The turkey thigh comes from the upper part of the turkey thigh, as the name suggests. There are also turkey legs, which are smaller. The meat of the turkey thigh is darker than, for example, the turkey breast. There the turkey thigh more meatthan the drumstick offers, the cooking time is extended accordingly. The turkey thigh is available with or without a bone.
Price per kilo approx. 13 to 15 €
Recipes and preparation
- 1 thigh of turkey, with or without the bone
- Preheated grill for indirect grilling at 170 ° C (with lid)
- Grill tongs
- olive oil
- Grill thermometer for measuring the core temperature
- The turkey thigh should be at room temperature before putting it on the hot grill. To do this, take the leg out of the refrigerator 90 minutes beforehand.
- Preheat the grill to 170 ° C in the indirect zone.
- Clean the grill grate with a good grill brush.
- Wash the turkey thigh and pat dry with a cloth.
- The grill grate must be oiled to prevent it from sticking.
- Place the turkey thigh in the indirect grill zone and close the lid.
- After approx. 55 to 65 minutes, the turkey leg should have reached a core temperature of 85 ° C. If the leg was grilled on the bone, it is advisable to turn the grill thermometer on different placesto eat. The bone affects the heat distribution in the meat. Because of a possible danger of salmonellamust not have any point below 70 ° C core temperature!
Spicy and exotic grill side dishes with the turkey thigh
Side dishes such as fruit go very well with poultry. Add a touch of ginger, turmeric and curry - wonderful. A wonderful dip can be made from a mixture of quark and creme fraiche. You need ginger, curry and turmeric for seasoning, and you already have an exotic dip that tastes perfect with grilled turkey cuts. Pineapple grilled in slices also tastes delicious. You can grill them in a grill bowl with a little olive oil and honey. Incidentally, fruit also tastes very good in salads. A Chinese cabbage cut into fine strips is well suited for this. With chili powder you bring Fire in the salad.You can also just serve bread with the turkey meat. So that it doesn't taste that monotonous, rub the bread slices with one small amount of butterand lots of fresh garlic. Then briefly roast it on both sides on the grillage. Ice cold white wine and beer are ideal as thirst quenchers.
Which marinade can we recommend for turkey meat and its cuts?
After buying the turkey for grilling, the question arises, how can the cuts be marinated well - and with what? A liquid marinade is recommended for the turkey. As a basis, you have ingredients such as oil, beer, wine, vinegar and fruit juice at your disposal. Herbs and ingredients such as honey, maple syrup, lemon, mustard, curry, turmeric, chili powder and garlic bring one particularly aromatic notein the turkey when grilling. Salting is recommended only after grilling. Salt is on the list of ingredients in our marinades, but you can just leave it out. You can also use a marinating syringe to add liquid marinade to the inside of the turkey sections. But please do not use coarse ingredients, otherwise the cannula will clog. When it comes to ingredients, you should Let your imagination run wild.If there are ingredients in our marinade recipes that you do not like, you can swap them according to your taste.
Please always use the cuts for grilling turkey ninety minutes before hanging up take out of the fridge. This allows the meat to reach the required temperature before it can be put on the grill. We want you to have ours Post about salmonellavery much to the heart. You will learn so much about the correct handling and preparation of poultry. Please take the time to read it so that you too Grill healthy turkeycan.
Refrain from buying marinated turkey. With no other type of meat it is so important that Determine the freshnessto be able to. This of course also includes the odor test. However, marinades mask the smell of meat. Even the color of the turkey meat can no longer be defined as fresh or inedible when it is ready-marinated. A Prepare the marinade yourselfis cheap and doesn't take long. We recommend buying turkey cuts in such a way that you can carry out a freshness test with your eyes and nose.
Recipe and preparation of curry grill marinade
- 10 tbsp sesame oil
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 tbsp lemon juice from untreated lemon
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 4 teaspoons of curry powder
- some ginger powder
- some chili powder
- White pepper
- Please wash the cuts from the turkey, pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients together except for the garlic and honey. Don't forget to wear a grill apron to prevent the marinade from getting dirty.
- Peel the garlic cloves and press them into the marinade using a garlic press.
- Squeeze the lemon and stir two tablespoons of lemon juice into the marinade.
- Mix everything well and apply the marinade to the cuts with a brush.
- Now the grilled meat goes into the refrigerator. Cover well!
- Before you can grill the turkey, the cuts must be taken out of the refrigerator about 90 minutes beforehand.
- Please wipe off excess marinade to avoid a grease fire.
- Now put on grill gloves and lift the food onto the grill grate with grill tongs.
Recipe and preparation of pineapple and honey grill marinade
- 4 heat-resistant oil
- 100 ml pineapple juice
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of hot mustard
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp curry ketchup
- Prepare a bowl. With the exception of the honey, you can stir all the ingredients together with a whisk.
- Now warm the honey and stir it into the marinade.
- With a brush you can now apply the grill marinade to the turkey cuts.
- Put the cuts in the refrigerator, well packed.
- Remove after a few hours and allow to warm to room temperature for approx. 90 minutes.
- Before placing on the grill, check for marinade dripping from the cuts. That shouldn't be the case, because these drops of oil can quickly set off a grease fire on the grill.
You can also cut the turkey breast with a sharp knife so that the marinade can penetrate even deeper cut diagonally at regular intervals. It also tastes very tasty when you add the meat Wrapped in bacon.That way, the meat doesn't dry out so quickly. Sear it in direct heat, then finish cooking in the indirect grill zone.
Buy cuts from the turkey and order them of high quality
Buying the meat from a turkey is not really difficult, because this poultry is not one of the rare types of meat. It is available in almost every meat counter. You can buy different cuts from the turkey. Basically this is Lean poultry, therefore also very popular with people who want to lose weight. The price is also very good and therefore does not tear any holes in the household budget. Grilling cuts of turkey is standard nowadays. Long searches are not necessary, but we focus on other things. It is important to us very good quality to get.
Very cheap meat is usually also available with one not really appropriate keepingof animals connected. Of course, keeping and rearing turkeys well is also associated with costs. So how can it be possible that buying turkey cuts can offer such low prices? Yes, we like to eat meat, but only from a healthy and animal-friendly attitude. These Responsibility to animalsmust not take a back seat. We found high quality turkey meat at online meat sellers. We have been ordering our grilled meat for a number of years, not just for grilling turkey.
Thanks to our numerous orders, we were able to carry out tests and comparisons for the turkey. So it is of course not surprising how different qualitieswhen buying turkey. It is important to get high quality poultry because of the danger of salmonella. With poultry in particular, it is extremely important that the Cold chain not interruptedhas been. Buying fresh turkey online is no longer difficult for us - we will continue to share our experiences with you in the future.
- Beto ORourke was a poor candidate
- How do I get 90 points in the exam
- Have asteroid temperature
- What should you always reconsider in life
- Why don't banknotes have barcodes?
- Shopify is big in Japan
- What are the best psychedelic rock songs
- How rated Zomato restaurants
- As I said, it is grammatically correct
- Make homemade pies freeze well
- How many Catholics stay in Iran
- How do top students learn math
- Why do we still read the classics
- How do I implement a USB keyboard
- What are Zoloft and Lamictal used for?
- Football players should read books
- Nagios is just an open source
- Where is GoLang used in cloud computing?
- How can I stop learning too much for tests?
- What is a concept furniture
- How much does vehicle packaging cost
- Why is the height of William Wallaces important
- What is delocalized chemical bond
- How is myocardial infarction pain described
- Is astrology real or just an illusion
- What is so trivial and yet very important
- What was your best experience in Christmas life
- How many Republicans are Pro-Choice
- Education startups How does Unigo make money
- Why does the DV lottery eliminate duplicates
- Is sound engineering a right option
- How do Icelandic people feel about tourists
- How can I improve my Tiffin service
- Why does the reaction occur in sunlight