What causes El Nino
What is El Niño?
Every few years "El Niño" draws attention to itself with negative headlines: El Niño is a natural climate phenomenon that usually occurs every two to eight years - very often around Christmas time (hence the name: Spanish "das Christ Child "). It usually has catastrophic consequences for animals, plants and people and is therefore very much feared.
Creation of El Niño
El Niño arises in the Pacific region between the west coast of South America and the east coast of Asia (Australia, Indonesia). There are winds here that circulate in different directions: The trade winds. They arise from a high pressure area off the west coast of South America and a low pressure area off the east coast of South Asia. In "normal" years, the strong trade winds move surface water and cause cold and warm ocean currents to circulate in this Pacific region. The cold, nutrient-rich ocean current that is located off the coast of South America is called the "Humboldt Current" and ensures a balanced climate in the ocean. The warm sea water causes plankton and many other nutrients to perish and thus worsens the basis of life for the animal world in the oceans. This phenomenon extends over the entire southern hemisphere.
In an "El Niño Year" the following happens:
- In the hottest season in South America, i.e. Christmas time, the stable high pressure area becomes significantly weaker or collapses. As a result, the trade winds decrease sharply or come to a standstill.
- Now the ocean currents are also changing: The Humboldt Current is diverted, so the upper water layer is no longer mixed with the cool deep water and the sea water off the coast of South America warms up very strongly.
The Pacific at El Niño conditions
- Poor people in America are lazy
- Will Catalonia ever be an independent nation?
- Three uses of regular expressions
- What are some interesting autobiographies of entrepreneurs
- How far does the iPhone bluetooth work
- Why isn't all knowledge free?
- Why is Dropbox no longer showing Excel files
- What is Telekinesis? Is it real
- What's your rating of Tim Ferris
- Can we skip MTE at the LPU
- SolarCity creates its own solar modules
- What vacation drama did you have
- What words in Urdu rhyme with Zaroori
- Why are there contrabassoons in orchestras?
- What is a WAMP and XAMPP server
- What are people's most cherished food memories
- What is int x dx 5
- What are 0 dimensional characters
- Why do most Ricers drive Honda Civics
- How was Samoa discovered by the Europeans
- Are Americans interested in cricket?
- How does proxy work simply and visually
- How can I choose a web framework
- Which crypto currency has the best future
- Are game shows scripted
- Did the jutes invent the fabric?
- Why can't I do something all the time?
- What are the benefits of unchecked exceptions
- Do dogs have a sense of fairness
- What is the legal definition of jaywalking
- The era of landline connections is coming back
- What is meant by pain?