Which tree do these nuts come from?
The hazel: Lots of pollen, delicious nuts
Hazel pollen is a nuisance for many allergy sufferers. Nevertheless, it is an easy-care and decorative garden plant. The nuts are edible and also provide food for animals such as squirrels.
Its long, grape-like inflorescences give the hazel its particularly distinctive appearance. This genus includes up to 25 different species that grow as a tree or shrub. The trees can be up to 15 meters high, the bushes up to seven meters.
Hazelnut bush is particularly popular
The common hazel, also known as the hazelnut bush, is one of the most famous shrubs. It is often planted in private gardens and also bears fruit. Most of the hazelnuts available on the market come from the Lambertshasel, they are mainly used in professional cultivation.
Hazel bee pollen is a common cause of allergies
Depending on the region, the flowers of the hazel can already be seen in January and, according to the phenological calendar, ring in early spring. This calendar is not divided into four seasons but into ten phases. The hazel has both female and male flowers, with only the male forming the conspicuous catkins. The partial inflorescences contained therein contain millions of pollen bodies - to the chagrin of many people suffering from pollen allergies. The female flower of the hazel, on the other hand, is inconspicuous.
Plant a hazelnut bush
If you want to plant a hazelnut bush in the garden, you get a very undemanding and uncomplicated plant. The sunnier the location, the richer the nut harvest will be. Hazelnut bushes are so-called external pollinators. That is, at least two bushes should be planted so that the flowers are pollinated and fruits grow. The shrub does not make any special demands on the garden soil, but waterlogging should be avoided. The fast-growing hazelnut is suitable both as a single plant and as a hedge plant. The best time to plant is in autumn.
Hazelnuts ripen from September
The fruits of the hazelnut ripen from around September. They then turn brown and fall to the ground. After removing the shell, the seeds inside can be eaten. Nuts roasted in the oven or in a pan taste best. Undamaged fruits can be stored dry. Many wild animals also like hazelnuts: For example, they are ideal food for squirrels, jays and of course dormice.
The current situation in northern Germany and the development. more
This topic in the program:
NDR 2 | The NDR 2 afternoon | 01/17/2019 | 2:05 pm
- Why is a transformer overheating
- Why does charcoal burn
- How fast is the sound of speed
- Why do people hide their online identity
- Is thermal image possible
- What is meant by volume by difference
- What is hydroxylammonium nitrate
- Where is Zoho located in Chennai
- How does crypto mining consume energy
- Is eugenics bad why
- What is Cot Sec and Cosec
- What is the main caste in Maharastra
- What if x is 45
- Why has freedom always prevailed in history?
- Why do Redditors act so weird
- Can you write a science fiction short film
- Why was Jaws so successful
- What is the significance of the Republic Day
- How many odd factors does 1420 have
- What is an invertebrate animal
- What are habitual thoughts
- Why did the Fantastic Four films fail
- How could data scraping be detected?
- How's the Honor 10 Lite Phones