Google Stadia is a bug
Page 6: Google Stadia in the test - Amazingly direct, but far from perfect
Less latency thanks to the cloud?
If we use Stadia with the Chromecast Ultra, the controller communicates directly with the Stadia servers via WiFi, which should reduce latency.
Stadia has a special feature that is relevant for latency when playing games using Chromecast Ultra.
The controller communicates with the Stadia servers directly via the WLAN. Normally, the input commands are first sent via the device used for streaming, such as the PC or smartphone, to which the controller (so far) has to be connected by cable.
When playing Destiny 2 via the Chromecast Ultra, we actually had the impression that the input delay was a little less than when playing via the Chrome browser on the PC in combination with a cable connection from the controller to the computer.
The difference wasn't that big, however, and input via mouse and keyboard in a game from a first-person perspective with shooter elements, as in the case of Destiny 2, is clearly the better solution for our taste.
Savegames and smooth game changes
Destiny 2 offers CrossSave the possibility to use scores from the PC with the Stadia version.
Can I take my savegames to Stadia? Anyone who already owns a game from the Stadia lineup must first buy it again in order to be able to use the Vulkan version specially adapted for Stadia. Therefore, in most cases, savegames cannot be transferred.
Destiny 2 shows that this can work with its cross-save function. It allows you to link different accounts of the game with each other and to synchronize your own progress on all platforms - a good approach that other developers are welcome to adopt.
Google sees it that way and, according to its own statements, it is also working on offering comparable solutions in as many games as possible. However, Google is not making any more specific statements at this point in time.
How well does the change between different end devices work? In our experience, smoothly: We can switch from playing on the PC to a mobile phone or television and back again in seconds.
If we simply start the game while it is still running on another platform, we will end up in the exact same place in the game where we left off. If, on the other hand, we end the game on one platform first, we have to restart it on the other platform accordingly.
If we switch Stadia devices without exiting the game from the Stadia interface, we can pick up exactly where we left off.
Stadia: Issues and Limitations
Stadia usually offers a good basis for cloud gaming, but Google's streaming solution is not spared certain problems either.
When connecting via WLAN, there may be small dropouts. And if your own network is heavily used - for example by a Windows update or other family members - this can also be noticeable with a LAN connection when the game is transmitted via video stream from the Internet.
The existing hardware must also offer a certain minimum performance capability. On a seven-year-old notebook, for example, there was severe stuttering when Windows Defender was running in the background, as the dual-core CPU in combination with Stadia was fully utilized.
Speaking of utilization: it is basically quite low with Stadia, in the case of a Core i5-8600K with six cores it was around ten percent. Coupled with other processes, this can be too much for an older CPU with only two cores.
And what about playing in 4K? This should actually be possible via Chromecast Ultra with Stadia, but in our case it didn't work. So far we have not been able to find out exactly why.
The same applies to starting difficulties of the GamePro colleagues: They often had to click on games several times until the start finally worked without an error message. So there are still some teething troubles at Stadia. Hopefully they will be resolved as quickly as possible.
Stadia uses a Core i5-8600K with six cores to about ten percent. Older devices with dual-core CPUs can, however, reach their limits if other processes in the background are still demanding too much power.
to the comments (222)
- Is hookah dangerous
- Can you mix falsetto with head voice
- Which VST is Avicii currently using
- What is Branchout's business model
- Can the classic hemopathy permanently cure diabetes
- Why MCD Seals Businesses in Delhi
- When will electric boats be inexpensive?
- What are the disadvantages of wooden floors
- Why do people study complex systems
- Will Venezuela change its government?
- What makes it easy to approach a man
- Santa Claus cares about everyone
- Automation is an over-hyped bubble
- Indian Air Force pilots receive callsigns
- What is Tomcat Valve
- Should I put sunscreen on my ears
- How do drinks affect our teeth?
- How can I sound less arrogant?
- Why do people paint labels on walls
- What is the factorial of 0 1
- Must Australians worry about terrorism?
- What does pee look like
- Can you explain structuralism more easily
- What functions should Cloud ERP have
- How is myocardial infarction pain described
- How much does the PowerPoint app cost
- Which book follows for the sailing entrance
- Should google buy Diaspora
- What does a UI prototype do
- What does predator of predators mean
- Tom Cruise is drunk
- Who is someone without a hater
- What is an IL FS Crisis
- When does distilled water conduct electricity