What do facility management companies do
General information on facility management
The term "facility management" already reveals that this discipline was not invented in our latitudes. It is not that long ago that people in Germany rated “facility management” in companies with disdain, based on the motto: “Our employer can afford a qualified caretaker”. These times are long gone and in many companies and institutions, the economic advantages in particular have been recognized when processes for maintaining the usability of buildings, systems and facilities are professionally planned, implemented and controlled, i. H. From a scientific point of view, one speaks of the "professional handling of secondary processes". And, how can it be otherwise, when there is such a scientific philosophizing about a subject, facility management is developing more and more into a university discipline of its own with the corresponding, relevant degrees, such as the master's in facility management.
Civil engineering job advertisements
What is facility management?
The more general and abstract the definitions, the less it can be used in practice. The question that remains is what exactly is hidden behind the term “facility management”. Here we borrow from the nomenclature of "Facility Management", the only German trade fair with the exclusive focus on this area. It shows the whole spectrum of the entrepreneurial task of facility management. The commercial building management, the technical building management and the infrastructural building management are essential components. In the area of the commercial building management, tasks such as the accounting / optimization of operating costs, budgeting, controlling, inventory management, property accounting, etc. are less interesting to the pure engineer. Technical building management, on the other hand, offers tasks from the areas of locking technology, fire protection, energy management, escape route systems, building rail systems, building management and building automation, heating, air conditioning and ventilation technology, maintenance, lighting systems, testing services, sanitary technology, security technology, telecommunications and communication technology, environmental technology, and uninterruptible power supply , Access control.
Facility management offers a lot of variety
In the area of infrastructural building management, facility management includes tasks such as waste management, document destruction, archiving, maintenance of outdoor facilities, messenger and transport services, office organization, catering, reception services / switchboard, vehicle fleet management, building cleaning services, caretaker services, winter services, parking monitoring, security services, relocation management. After studying the previous list, you can very well imagine that the professional field of facility management also offers challenging, varied and interesting tasks for engineers. Facility management is not just a functional area in companies today. It has developed into an independent economic sector, which, however, is not the subject of consideration at this point. Due to the increasing importance of facility management, it is not surprising that the GEFMA (German Facility Management Association) has its own interest group. It was founded in 1989 as a network of decision-makers in facility management.
In which sectors facility management is booming
Sectors in which the functional area of facility management is represented with great importance:
- Industry (general)
- Trade (general)
- Building operator
- Real estate industry
- Architectural offices
- Banks, insurance companies, retail
- Property management
- Educational institutions
- Property developer
- Energy / water supplier
- Hospitals, clinics
The facility management area often appears on its own in companies, whereby the scope includes the entire facility management or sub-areas such as building services, energy management, etc. Every now and then facility management is combined with functions such as production, the overall technology of the company or safety and environmental protection
Basic data on facility management
The database for the following statements was provided by evaluations of the online job market “Facility Management” and the applicant database from ingenieurkarriere.de.
- Tasks, requirements, job titles and industry focuses come from an evaluation of job advertisements for the respective occupational field of the online job market from ingenierkarriere.de. Very extensive job advertisements for the functional area were evaluated.
- Statements about applicant preferences result from the evaluation of the objectives of over 20,000 engineers from the applicant database of ingenieurkarriere.de as of 01.01.2013. In order to be able to make statements about the job market, job offers that were placed on ingenieurkarriere.de from 06/30/2009 to 01/01/2013 were used.
The registered engineers are made up of professionals, young professionals and university graduates from all engineering disciplines, industries, functional areas and hierarchical levels.
Technical and managerial tasks
Basic tasks in facility management
- Equipping the organizational unit (e.g. production site, branch, logistics center, etc.) with facility management systems
- Securing the operational readiness of the systems, managing / operating the systems
- Take care of the maintenance and repair of the systems
- Planning, designing, realizing new, expansion, conversion measures and renovations
- Responsible for building and site management systems at the site (e.g. production site, branch, logistics center, etc.):
- Responsible for building technology / building technology: heating (energy systems, e.g. heat and steam generation and distribution), air conditioning (e.g. cooling systems), ventilation (clean air systems, exhaust systems, ventilation systems, ventilation)
- Responsible for the electrical supply (e.g. high, medium, low voltage, emergency power, lightning protection, earthing), building control technology (e.g. automation systems, control technology, control cabinets, software), communication infrastructure (e.g. telecommunications systems, information technology systems) , Event technology)
- Responsible for security systems (e.g. smoke alarm, fire extinguishing, burglar alarm, emergency call, access control systems, other warning systems)
- Responsible for sanitation (water supply, sewage, ultrapure water systems, waste disposal)
- Responsible for conveyor technology (elevators, escalators, crane systems, lifting platforms)
- Responsible for the technology in the open area, traffic management, central services (e.g. reception, pick-up and delivery services, caretaker services, vehicle fleet, print shop, canteen)
- Project planning of building services systems in the HVAC area
- Layout of the systems
Operations management, adaptation, optimization in facility management
- Perceiving the operational management / operational monitoring / operational optimization of all systems of the building / house technology
- Construction, installation, commissioning, and optimization of systems
- Technical training of employees (technical service) during installation
- Documentation of the work according to the valid quality standards
- Creation of the technical documentation
- Ensuring the usability of the systems during the entire life cycle
- Introduction of controlling instruments and initiation of measures to optimize the individual areas / trades
- Implementation of energy controlling, the optimization of electrical supply systems
- Energy economic assessment of energy technology systems
- Development of energy supply concepts
- Adapting and expanding the systems based on new requirements
- Securing the site infrastructure and continuously improving it
Facility management: servicing, maintenance, testing
- Planning and coordinating the maintenance and repair work of the systems to be looked after
- Take care of the disposal of systems of the entire site
- Acquisition of new systems and provision of house and building technology services
- Select, commission, manage and control the external service providers
- Support in the implementation of maintenance and repair work
- Carrying out the maintenance according to the valid guidelines, e.g. B. ISO, DIN, VDMA, GMP
- Check compliance with maintenance guidelines
- Coordinate, carry out and monitor work safety measures
- Implement and control legal requirements, regulations, guidelines
- Carrying out technical tests, e.g. B. TÜV, VDS
- Carrying out the operational measurements and their evaluation
Facility management: plan, implement and track projects
- Analyze, design and plan new systems to be expanded and replaced
- Planning and construction management according to HOAI service phases 1-9 of building technology systems
- Perception of the property of the builder
- Creation of planning documents including the approval planning according to the service phases of the HOAI (fee schedule for architects and engineers)
- Responsibility for tendering, placing of orders, drawing up plans, scheduling, tracking deadlines, construction management, acceptance, cost monitoring, tracking of defects
- Participation in the award of architecture, engineering and construction services
- Participation in invoice verification and claims management
- Tracking the commercial and technical project execution
- Coordination of internal workshops, planning departments, external companies, in-house and external personnel, other trades, material requirements for project implementation
- Control and supervision of subcontractors
- Ensuring that deadlines, costs, specifications and technical target dates are met
- Set up and control cost determinations in accordance with DIN 276
- Participation in projections in investment processes (business plan, delimitations, impairment test, etc.)
- Creation / billing of HOAI contracts
- Consideration of official and technical guidelines
- Compliance with company guidelines, in particular with regard to quality, occupational safety, environmental protection
- Maintaining contact with authorities, architects, structural engineers, plant builders, etc.
Management tasks in facility management
- Coordinating site management (facility management)
- Responsibility for occupational safety and environmental protection
- Manage the new buildings, renovations and extensions
- Planning of the technical and organizational building / site operation (strategy and target definition, budget planning)
- Calculate the annual budget, prepare periodic variance analyzes
- Development of countermeasures, preparation of reports (reporting)
- Carrying out profitability studies
- Implementation of facility management concepts
- Establishing professional standards and developing maintenance guidelines
- Implementation of requirements in structural and technical standards and control them
- Leading and developing (training) the team of employees
- Negotiating and concluding maintenance and operator contracts, drafting contracts with the energy industry
- Close cooperation with the location management, the management
- Set up and operate a data network for building operations
- Contact person and interface to external planning offices / engineering offices
- Establishment and maintenance of energy management in the properties
- Covering risks by drafting insurance contracts
Which degree for professions in facility management?
In the area of facility management, it is irrelevant at which institution an engineering degree was obtained. For the same reason, graduates of the vocational academies should have a good chance of applying, although they hardly appear in the advertising texts. But even professionals without a university degree, especially technicians, have their options in facility management. PhD engineers, on the other hand, are not explicitly asked for in the job advertisements for this functional area. The subjects or directions depend on the building services systems to be supervised. Particularly in demand in facility management are: supply technology, building technology / house technology, electrical engineering, civil engineering. Occasionally, however, subjects such as communications engineering, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering and environmental technology can also be found in the job advertisements.
Professional experience in facility management
In addition to university studies, however, facility management almost always requires previous professional experience. First or several years of professional experience are required for around 80% of the advertised specialist positions. Subject-specific professional experience in connection with the systems to be looked after is required. University graduates are rarely addressed.
Civil engineering job advertisements
Requested additional qualifications depend on the one hand on the systems to be looked after, but also on the range of tasks that the respective facility management employee is supposed to cover. Knowledge in the following areas is increasingly in demand: technical building management, facility management, supply technology, project management, process management, maintenance, repairs, controlling, business administration. No special IT skills are required in facility management. SAP and CAD appear very rarely in the advertisements. Sound PC user knowledge should be sufficient. Languages also play no role in facility management. Every now and then English skills are required.
Soft skills for facility management
Anyone who sees their professional future in facility management should have the following personality traits to a large extent: analytical thinking skills, communication skills, team spirit, assertiveness, flexibility, commitment, resilience, independence and independence as well as economic thinking.
The professional career in facility management
At the levels of engineer / clerk and project engineer, positions in facility management are often filled with the following designations: graduate engineer in electrical engineering, building technology, building automation, supply technology, technical building equipment, etc., energy manager, specialist planners for heating / ventilation / sanitary, facility engineer, facility manager , Project engineer TGA, project engineer HKL / HKS / HKLS.
Civil engineering job advertisements
On the levels of project manager, team, department and division manager, positions are often filled with the designations that basically also show career prospects: construction manager for heating, cooling and ventilation technology, head of facility management, head of technical services and facility management, project manager for building control technology , Electrical engineering, supply engineering, TGA, HKL, HKS, HKLS etc., senior project manager technical building equipment, site manager TGA, team leader building management, technical manager
Applicant preferences in facility management
Ingenieurkarriere.de does not collect any special figures for the professional field of facility management. A mediocre value is shown for the overarching occupational field of maintenance / repair / commissioning. Around 5% of all career aspirations by engineers from the ingenieurkarriere.de applicant database went in this direction on 01/01/2013. Trend compared to evaluations from previous years: constant. However, only a small number of engineers are likely to be interested in pure facility management. Despite the Anglo-Saxon title, the occupational field still has to struggle with image problems. The number of vacancies in facility management plays an important role in the course of energy efficiency measures in companies and organizations. There is good demand for engineers from the fields of supply engineering, electrical engineering / energy technology and civil engineering. Anyone applying for a job here has a good chance of success. Nevertheless, some basic rules for applications and interviews should be considered. The branch situation, company size, company image and the region certainly also play an important role in order to be able to make a final statement here.
A contribution by:
- What does a content management system do
- Can a stoic enjoy music
- How do mobile apps access bank information
- What is a local SEO service
- What are some apps to manage sales
- When does a Turing machine crash?
- What happened when Tibet separated from China
- What should you always reconsider in life
- Which is the best reiki clinic
- Why are male corpses used for preparations?
- How are the internships abroad at IIITD
- What do you know about andragogy
- Is simple existence satisfying
- What is 1 1 1 1 29
- Is KYC mandatory for a NEFT transmission
- How are bulletproof vests made
- Where is Richard Daley buried
- How does Amazon Cloud secure its data
- Can a grown man undergo orchiopexy?
- Is a long-distance relationship fake
- Is Careem Better Or Uber
- What is the key to mastering speed cubing
- What does asdfjkl
- Can sleeping pills cause cancer?