How are saltwater pearls made
Pearls arise in oysters that live in the sea (salt water) or in freshwater mussels. Traditionally, most of the pearls came from the saltwater cultures in the Persian Gulf, the Red Sea, and the coastal regions of India and Japan. China harvested freshwater pearls over several centuries.
Saltwater pearls tend to have a more radiant shine than their relatives from freshwater, which is why they are more sought-after and higher in value.
All saltwater pearls produced today are pearls seeded with a bead. Pure natural pearls are still collected in the Persian Gulf, but their yield is too low to establish a real market value. These pearls also rarely leave the region.
Saltwater pearls are cultivated by opening an oyster shell 2-3 centimeters. An expert uses a special instrument to carve a tiny incision into the oyster’s mantle tissue. A bead is inserted into the small hole as a core, together with a piece of cladding tissue. The cells in the mantle tissue grow around the core and form a "pearl bag". The pearl grows in it. This method is used for all saltwater pearls grown today.
The 3 known types of saltwater pearls are Akoya pearls, Tahitian pearls and South Sea pearls.
Perlen-info.com would like to thank Edelkontor for providing us with image and text material.
Copyright perlen-info.com / Dorothea Burisch
Any duplication or use of the photos and texts shown here in other electronic or printed publications is not permitted without our express consent and will be prosecuted.
- Should I put sunscreen on my ears
- How long did your Sony headphones last
- What is Edward Snowdens' situation like in Russia
- What was the sweetest dream you have
- What is a liquid
- Who is stronger than Thanos or Goku
- Why is organic milk better than normal
- Is cash really incomprehensible
- Is that a properly formatted sentence?
- Which fish menstruate
- Who is Bohemian
- A hibiscus is a dicotyledon
- Which countries in Asia have a subway system?
- Who is your favorite pulp fiction writer
- Davisco Whey Protein Concentrate Review 1
- What are some examples of Amish food
- How can we find the national income
- What makes breastfeeding so important
- How to properly report Grand Theft
- Is a search engine a crawler
- How do sarcoma and carcinoma cancers differ
- What did Ronnie Coleman eat
- How mindful are you
- What are boats made of
- Why do we use prefabricated composite walls
- How do I marry a foreign citizen
- How much energy does a star hold
- Anderson Cooper is a credible journalist
- What are the social problems in Turkey
- Do you believe in not believing
- Why is the college called VIVA
- How painful is a bee sting
- Can someone help me identify this song
- Is scaling safe for the teeth