What is passive communication
Passive communication what it is and how to recognize it in 4 characteristics
Communication can be established in different ways. Ultimately, people's needs, preferences, and general personality patterns influence the way we affect ideas, beliefs, and feelings. Passive communication is an example of this.
In this article we will see what are the characteristics of this type of communication, how it is expressed, what drawbacks they have and how it is possible to improve this aspect.
- Related article: "The 3 Types of Communication and How to Recognize Them"
What is passive communication?
A summary and simple definition of what passive communication is is as follows: a communicative pattern characterized by avoidance of direct confrontation with other people through the explicit.
So it's part of a dynamic of relationships with others There is hardly any certainty and a feeling of vulnerability prevails.
Its basic properties
Next, let's look at the basic characteristics of passive communication.
1. Nonverbal speech that maintains a low profile
What is being said does not matter if it is just a question of the phrases and words used, but also of thinking about how to say it. And more precisely, the non-verbal language that accompanies the verbally transmitted message.
In passive communication, a non-verbal communication style prevails that expresses submission: avoiding the other's gaze or a low gaze, tone of voice slightly lower than that of the other, defensive attitude, etc.
- You may be interested in: "Assertiveness: 5 Basic Habits to Improve Communication"
2. Frequent use of an impersonal perspective
There are certain opinions and points of view that people who use passive communication express, but when they think they are somewhat problematic because they bring things up that make the listener uncomfortable, they use this often an impersonal tone instead of a first person.
For example, to request repairs in the office, we are not going to talk about the damage the bug does to itself, but rather the portrayal of the problem is of the "it would be good if the bug were" type. repaired. "It is a use of liability that corresponds to the concept of passive communication.
3. Avoid direct confrontation and the use of euphemisms
Another characteristic of passive communication is that it does not directly indicate that there is a conflict of ideas or interests. Instead, in the event that there is actually a mismatch of opinions or needs, is supposedly expressed neutrallyas if all parties involved in the conversation were really looking for a mutually beneficial solution, even if it wasn't really the case.
For example, if two people choose the same position, it can be said that both are "looking for their place in the company" ..
4. Avoid expressing feelings
People who fit the typical pattern of passive communication tend not to talk about their feelings as if they were part of the argument supporting their claims, even if they are relevant to the subject. Again, in these cases, an impersonal type of language is used.
The disadvantages of this behavior pattern
As we have seen, there is a definite lack of assertiveness in passive communication. As a result of this, several main consequences can arise.
Or misunderstandings arise because some of the information is not revealed, although it is important, or the person maintaining the passive communication sees how their needs are not being met and their interests are being neglected. This second case also has negative effects resulting from this situation.
In particular, failure to express one's needs and feelings leads to psychological (and often physical) wear and tear, when it leads to more exertion to achieve full or partial satisfaction of a need. Over time, passive communication encourages the accumulation of frustrations, reasons for resentment and malaise in general.
It is possible that all of this could trigger psychological crises or outbursts of anger that contradict the tendency to maintain a low profile that characterizes passive communication. When this happens, it is difficult to maintain correct emotional regulation and it is possible not only to harm well-being, but also to damage personal relationships or blame people for who are not responsible for what happened ..
Generally passive communication Feeds the maintenance of low self-esteemas it helps perpetuate a dynamic of submission to the rest.
- Related article: "Low Self-Esteem? When You Become Your Worst Enemy"
What should be done to improve communicative style?
While passive communication seems to help avoid conflict, in reality it is not, because without assertiveness there is always one party who will be harmed while there is another who is used to asserting its interests. Therefore, it pays to leave the passive communication style. To achieve this, you should follow the tips below.
- Avoid making unnecessary apologies.
- Compare the importance of your own needs and those of others.
- Search contexts in which one speaks of one's feelings are objectively useful.
- Find formulas for Start with being assertive in relationships.
- What is an impending volcano
- Who is the Greek god of beetles
- How is Brendon McCullum doing as a person
- Is there a secondary virtual world
- Are McLaren cars real Mercedes?
- What is the brand positioning of apples
- The placebo effect is the most underrated thing
- Is Myles Garrett's punishment fair
- Is a mental illness caused by trauma
- How many country singers can you name
- Can you use airplay with a Roku
- Is hypersomnia the same as narcolepsy
- Regret becoming a medic
- Why are cowboy boots uncomfortable?
- What is 12 out of 120
- Cell phone use affects our brains
- Why did Iceland want independence from Denmark?
- What is 2 3 1 4 2
- Who described Iron Man Vallabhbhai Patel
- Is React Native cross-platform
- How to stretch shoes with newspaper
- Who are John Nash's children
- What are the saddest things about London
- What is the worst dog food