Where do whales and dolphins come from
Main source of noise: the military
"Suppose you do not make a fireworks display on the cruise ship, but under water, as an event, just like that. That would be devastating for the whales!", Says Dr. Karsten Brensing, the behavior researcher of the international whale and dolphin protection organization WDC.
One of the main sources of noise are the military with their sonar devices for locating submarines. These sound devices emit a high-pitched beep at short intervals. If the sound is reflected, there is an object (usually another submarine) nearby.
"This noise is unbearable and painful for whales. In terms of us humans, the source of the noise would be so loud as if an explosion in Moscow made it impossible for us here in Germany to have a simple conversation on the street."
Whales listen at a distance from Hamburg to Naples
Water is an excellent transmission medium for sound. The hearing of whales and dolphins is fantastic. They need that too, because the oceans are big.
A reproductive partner is as difficult to find here as the proverbial needle in a haystack. Some species can communicate over a distance of up to 2000 kilometers - this corresponds to the distance from Hamburg to Naples.
But the noise in our oceans has increased so much over the past few decades that the whales can only communicate within a tenth of the area, i.e. up to 200 kilometers - just one of many reasons why populations are not recovering and some species are not recovering are critically endangered.
Huge ship's propellers, engine noise, but also construction work for wind turbines and oil rigs and the search for oil and natural gas are to blame.
Whales can't just listen - just as we humans can't. All you can do is swim away. Mothers and their calves are particularly at risk. They don't get away fast enough and their hearing is damaged.
Noise restricts whale communication
Whales can hear in a radius of 360 degrees. But especially the calls of our native porpoises are directed forward and can only be heard there. Their communication with one another is overlaid and restricted by the noise under water.
Conditions for breeding and conservation are not good. "This problem has been known for years, and something can be done about it - but that only happens when politics demands it from the industry," says behavioral researcher Brensing.
"Instead of ramming the piles for wind turbines into the sea floor with huge blows of a hammer - so-called 'piledriving' - you can mill the pillars into it like a giant screw."
But many large companies refer to the contracts they signed years ago when noise protection was not yet an issue - and their love of animals does not go as far as voluntarily exposing themselves to increased construction costs. Alternatively, heavy concrete blocks the size of containers can be lowered onto the leveled seabed.
"But even as tourists we can help the whales with our leisure activities," says Karsten Brensing. Jet-skiing in particular is noisy - just like many motor yachts - and is usually also offered in areas where whales occur: in the Caribbean, but also here in the North Sea and Baltic Sea.
- How much profit do Bitcoin ATMs make
- Can dolphins stay in fresh water permanently?
- Weightlifting increases a person's strength
- What's the best Fred Astaire movie
- Why haven't we explored the ocean yet?
- Has Bangladesh women wrestlers
- When should you replace a head gasket
- Which car has the best ground clearance?
- When did we stop negotiating with terrorists?
- What is the meaning of the heat equation
- Why do skirts have zippers?
- Is Zillow reliable
- How can I eat healthier without restricting myself
- How does the internet help entrepreneurs
- Double enrollment against AP
- Where are credit cards made
- Is TOEFL applicable for MS PhD
- What is the Bir Banga
- Do vegans harm animals
- A WiFi extender will reduce the speed
- Why is Japan more demanding than Thailand
- Why don't you go to college
- Hormonal changes can lead to imbalances leading to palpitations
- How we can do software engineering
- Who are the cheapest SEO service providers
- Do people need a new social network
- Does the renovation of your kitchen increase the house value
- Loved Adam and Eve God
- Is epistemology built up
- Why is a mitochondrial genome maternally inherited
- What is your favorite skirt and why
- Has Intel recruited someone from IITs
- Who are famous people from Shreveport Louisiana